Sunday, July 5, 2015

Cheesy Jalapeno Cauliflower Bake

"Turn Up the Heat"

Tonight I decided to give the kale a break because three JALAPENOS I grew in my garden were ready to be picked! The jalapenos were a tad longer than my index finger, and had a nice plumpness to them. After I picked them I immediately went on Pinterest for some ideas for what I could use them in. It didn't take long for me to find a cauliflower jalapeno bake, but the problem was, the recipe involved tons of butter, a cream cheese layer, AND a cheddar cheese layer in the dish. So I immediately decided not to follow the recipe, and simply used it as a starting point for a healthier one. 

This bake came out awesome! For those of you who love a nice pile of mashed potatoes on their plate--I promise this side dish will taste similar and maybe even better! The consistency is outstanding, and the heat from the jalapenos is surely standout.

Cheesy Jalapeno Cauliflower Bake:
-1 head of cauliflower, chopped up small
-2 tbsp. half and half or almond milk 
-2 tbsp. olive oil
-2 tsp. garlic powder
-2 sliced jalapenos (use 1-1.5 if you are sensitive to spicy foods) 
-3/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F and finely chop the cauliflower.
2. Put the cauliflower in a large microwave safe bowl and add the half and half and olive oil. Stir and microwave for 15 minutes, pausing and stirring the mixture every 5 minutes.
3. Carefully place the steamed cauliflower, 1 chopped jalapeno, garlic powder, and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar into a food processor or blender and blend until almost smooth.
4. Place the cauliflower mixture in an 8x8 baking dish, sprinkle with remaining cheddar and remaining sliced jalapeno, and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted. You will know it is done cooking when jalapeno seeds are starting to brown (see browning jalapenos seeds below).


Happy (and spicy) eating!!! 

No comments: